What's Happening
  • Congratulations to our R6 Team for making it into IEG! Their first match is on Friday, go support them!
  • We're taking the community in a whole new direction. Go join a Division, make a team with some friends and participate/compete within your Division for prizes!
  • Most of our servers will be going down, all except our Surf server thanks to the hard work Shark has put into it!
  • Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.
GoobNitro

Surf Server and Map Suggestions

This thread will be for any suggested changes to the server. Whether they be the removal of a weapon, addition of a plugin, or the removal/addition of a map.

Please be sure to use the below format when making a suggestion. 

In-Game Name:
Suggestion:
Reasoning:
Link to Plugin/Map:

In-Game Name:  Mister Mario

Server suggestions:

Suggestion: 85 tick server
Reasoning: I get the point of 64 tick being the 'competitive' tickrate for surf servers, however I think a server like this should appeal to new players rather than try and attract the veterans from well established servers. Uppping the tickrate to 85 makes maps easier and adds more room for error on certain maps. I feel new players would prefer 85 tick, as there is nothing more frustrating than being stuck on the 2nd stage of the map for hours until the map changes. I personally find 85 tick surfing more enjoyable, and I think the managing of the server should be focused on making it an enjoyable experience rather than creating a competitive environment.

Suggestion: Change the WR replay bot
Reasoning: At the moment the bot will continuously replay the map WR run, this means whoever wants to watch the bot needs to wait for it to finish the current replay and then start a new run. This could be improved by adding a feature that lets the spectator start the replay, these bots are already used on other servers, and it allows the spectator to select the specific replay that he/she wants to see i.e map, bonus, stage x.

Suggestion:  Start speed chat message
Reasoning:  This feature is part of most well established servers timer settings, it allows the players to see their start speed when leaving the start zone, this allows players to judge their run based off of something experienced surfers knows as 'prestrafing'. While this feature primarily appeals to experienced surfers, it is also something that new players will have to learn at some point in order to improve.

Suggestion: Remove flashing text motd messages
Reasoning: The server will occasionally display a flashing motd message in the top center of your screen. (says something like "Apply for staff at URL AG forums) This is extremely distracting when doing a run on a map, and the same thing could be accomplished with the use of a colored chat message.

Suggestion: !bugreport command
Reasoning: This command allows players to report bugs or make suggestions while in-game and on the server. The bugreports would be available to players with the 'dev or zoner' rank and these reports contains the player who reported the bugs location on the map as well as the reasoning for the bugreport. I can see how a command like this ruins the purpose of this thread however I feel it would be a good addition.

Suggestion: Fix the zoning of some maps.
Reasoning: Many maps could be zoned in a better way, my problem with the current zoning is mainly that many end zones are flat instead of a box, this means that you have to land on the end platform for your time to stop rather than just hovering over it. I think the server could benefit greatly from someone taking the time to zone each map individually rather than using the autozone feature with the timer plugin.

Staff and server management suggestions:

Suggestion: Add the rank 'zoner' or 'dev'
Reasoning: The purpose of this staff position would be fixing maps, as well as adding new maps. It is very easy for a server to feel like nothing new is happening, and the server will die out quickly if the players feel this way. Therefore maybe one or two knowledgeable people should have the permission to add new maps as well as fix zoning of already existing maps. Keeping up with new maps will attract new players and even experienced players might join to practice the map.
(For this job i suggest keeping up with EarthwormEds youtube channel where he uploads map showcases of new and upcoming maps.)

Suggestion: Change the direction of the servers future.
Reasoning: I would like to address my personal opinion on what works and what doesn't work on a surf server. The number 1 reason why surf servers die out is the vision for the future of the server. Server owners always try and make "The next big competitive server" but in reality this doesn't work out. KSF community is the place to go for competitive surfing and that is not going to change. So I feel the Server manager and the staff team should take this server in the direction of being enjoyable for new surfers. This kind of server would be completely driven by the individual personalities on the server, by this I mean a great part of making people enjoy themselves comes from the in-game chat and voice chat.

This is my first impression of what the server is currently missing, and my personal take on what makes a server succeed and what kills a server. Good luck team :^)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Helpful (+1) 1
  • Best Comment (+1) 1

In-Game Name: F X R I D
Suggestion: Add a timer, when the next map is selected from rtv.
Reasoning: The server changes the map asap, this can cause players to not finish their speedrun, overall it's too fast.
Link to Plugin/Map: SourceMod

3 hours ago, Farid said:

Suggestion: Add a timer, when the next map is selected from rtv.
Reasoning: The server changes the map asap, this can cause players to not finish their speedrun, overall it's too fast.

The point of rtv is for players to change the map immediately without waiting, Even with a timer someone will always get interrupted, shit just happens sometimes.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:15 PM, Mister Mario said:

In-Game Name:  Mister Mario

Server suggestions:

Suggestion: 85 tick server
Reasoning: I get the point of 64 tick being the 'competitive' tickrate for surf servers, however I think a server like this should appeal to new players rather than try and attract the veterans from well established servers. Uppping the tickrate to 85 makes maps easier and adds more room for error on certain maps. I feel new players would prefer 85 tick, as there is nothing more frustrating than being stuck on the 2nd stage of the map for hours until the map changes. I personally find 85 tick surfing more enjoyable, and I think the managing of the server should be focused on making it an enjoyable experience rather than creating a competitive environment.

Suggestion: Change the direction of the servers future.
Reasoning: I would like to address my personal opinion on what works and what doesn't work on a surf server. The number 1 reason why surf servers die out is the vision for the future of the server. Server owners always try and make "The next big competitive server" but in reality this doesn't work out. KSF community is the place to go for competitive surfing and that is not going to change. So I feel the Server manager and the staff team should take this server in the direction of being enjoyable for new surfers. This kind of server would be completely driven by the individual personalities on the server, by this I mean a great part of making people enjoy themselves comes from the in-game chat and voice chat.

This is my first impression of what the server is currently missing, and my personal take on what makes a server succeed and what kills a server. Good luck team :^)

This is what I said in the beginning, but seems it didnt matter. If people want a competitive surf server they go to A. Source or B. KSF on go. Normally it is the former as sneaks server seems to be the only popular server consistently (aside from that weird rap battle server where surfing is just something for people to do while rapping or w/e). Even if its 64 it could probably still gain traction if people actually put in time on it, but I dont think there are enough people in the community that like surfing. Also, at the end of the day it is just a cookie cutter server. Without anything unique its kind of doomed anyway, although I know its hard to make anything unique for surf in general. I'll try to chill on the server for a while but at the end of the day, its tier 1-2 which gets really fucking boring. Would maybe add some t3s.

1 hour ago, Tizona said:

I'll try to chill on the server for a while but at the end of the day, its tier 1-2 which gets really fucking boring. Would maybe add some t3s.

+1, make it tier 1-3 not tier 1-2. I'm sure a lot of the people here who can surf have beaten a majority of the tier 1 and 2 maps.

Suggestion: Remove surf_wood
Reasoning: Crashes the people who are connecting to the server.

Posted (edited)

Suggestion: Remove surf_juturna
Reasoning: Crashes the people who are connecting to the server. / Disconnect me when I connect.

Edited by Farid

On 6/14/2018 at 2:35 PM, Farid said:

Suggestion: Remove surf_juturna
Reasoning: Crashes the people who are connecting to the server. / Disconnect me when I connect.

The common issue with juturna is different servers have different versions of the file. To play the one we have u have to go to your maps folder and delete the existing one.

5 hours ago, Tizona said:

The common issue with juturna is different servers have different versions of the file. To play the one we have u have to go to your maps folder and delete the existing one.

I legit downloaded the one from AG server, I don't play on any other surf server.

10 hours ago, Farid said:

I legit downloaded the one from AG server, I don't play on any other surf server.

idk, I went a deleted the file and when the server redownloaded it worked fine

In-Game Name: Spectra
Suggestion: Add surf_roomservice2
Reasoning: The only map I can beat occasionally
Link to Plugin/Map: I couldn't find it. Pls @Tizona find it ;-;

@Spectra surf_roomservice2 is already a map on the list I am making to add to the server and I appreciate the suggestion!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.